Monday, June 6, 2011

the good stuff…

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one." - Jill Churchill

I found this quote last week and it couldn’t have been truer today.

I’ve been debating getting Callie’s hair trimmed and adding some little bangs for a few months. On a whim today, I made the appointment, invited Grammy, picked the kiddos up a few minutes early, bought some decoy snacks (in the event of a meltdown), AND brought the camera.

I took at least 50 pictures of a smiling little princess, sitting so still, “driving” her little yellow car and watching cartoons, all while the stylist trimmed those blonde locks.

Only, I didn’t have a memory card in the camera.

And didn’t notice the NO CARD indicator flashing until this whole 1st hair cut experience was O-V-E-R.

My heart was in my throat, I started to feel sick and literally could have cried.

Now, I know in the grand scheme of things this is one of those don’t sweat the small stuff experiences. But, it might as well have ruined my evening. I’m a pathological picture taker, and relish the opportunity to document (blog) these once-in-a-lifetime moments. And this was my baby girl’s first haircut!! That cannot be recreated!!

Tears.

After I told the stylist, she felt so bad for my pitiful self and offered to reenact the experience next time?!

So for the rest of the evening (after we got home and I found the memory card), I tried a million times to get the second best, make-up photo of CJ’s new do.

SONY DSC                       SONY DSC                       SONY DSC                       SONY DSC

These smiles are perfect in a million ways and good enough.

But, I still might take her up on that reenactment offer.

Don’t you think it instantly makes her look 11 months older?

erica_sig_thumb[2]

4 comments:

molly said...

yes- tears - she is growing up-don't sweat the small stuff and always remember YOU are a fabulous Mom - love you

Anonymous said...

Ahh, so sorry you had to go through those feelings. She is adorably cute and certainly looks older than she should. The pictures are wonderful, and we thank you for sharing with us. Mimi/Pepa

Ms. Evans said...

Oh my goodness! What a cutie pie! And yes, it does make her look older. Can't believe she is almost one! XOXO's to you all!

chris said...

gorgeous. thanks.

chris

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...